Monday, September 17, 2012

My Past and Where I am Today.

My name is Caroline Hinckley. 

I have a rare auto immune disease called Neuromyelitis Optica which paralyzed me from the neck down when I was only 16. Since then, almost two years have passed and I regained my ability to walk. I am still very weak and have to use a wheelchair to get around, but I am trying my hardest to regain my strength. Adjusting to life in a wheelchair has not been the easiest thing I've done in my life. I used to be a very independent girl and never wanted anyone to do anything for me. While I was paralyzed, I had to have people do EVERYTHING for me. My independence was ripped from my 16-year-old hands. People had to feed me, bathe me, even scratch my nose for me. I hated it. I do things in a very particular way and trying to explain to my mom just exactly where and how I wanted my nose scratched was a nightmare. 

But over the last two years I have been able to gain enough independence to move off to college (8.5 hours away, mind you) and live on my own with nobody to help me but myself. The thought of this scared me for the longest time, but I have been here at college (in Philadelphia) for a month already, and I am loving it! I feel like my life is going right for the first time in 2 years. So I hope to use this blog to show people the other side of the girl in the (hot pink) wheelchair and to let others follow my journey through college.



Some pictures of myself

My nephew (Camden) and I

Prom!


I'm actually the coolest auntie ever!

My family and I at graduation

No comments:

Post a Comment